CONFESSIONS OF A COLLEGE MAKEUP ADDICT

sometimes i wonder if i should really be doing this--whether college life allows for time to spend on reviewing and enjoying the makeup products this world has to offer. here's the conclusion i came to: there is always time to celebrate the self, to boost self-confidence and to be proud of the 'you' that you choose to put out in the world.

go on girls, be beautiful.

2.22.2010

Tarte Cosmetics--Smooth Operator

Today's Review: Tarte Cosmetics' Smooth Operator: Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer w/ SPF 20.

I'm going to tell you right now--I own three bottles of this stuff.

 

Smooth Operator comes in a cute yet small-ish bottle which absolutely screams that it's going to do good things for your skin. I first purchased Smooth Operator probably over a year ago now, after I walked into Sephora, frustrated and reluctant to ever use any form of foundation ever again. My skin is naturally very forgiving--I do have a T-Zone that can act up sometimes, but I felt like every time I used a foundation, it would clog my pores and leave my complexion looking like a grandma. Literally, I got more pimples when I wore makeup than when I didn't, which just creates a downward spiral. The people that worked at the Sephora suggested I try a tinted moisturizer instead--get the benefits of a tint to cover problem spots, but also not put enough foundation on to turn my face into pleather.

So, I went home with Smooth Operator. My tint is called Agent 06, which used to be known as veil. In the summer time, it's a little bit light, but it definitely agrees with the yellow/olive undertones of my skin.
 
So, when you first look at the bottle, you're like, "Hmm, what are all of these things that are NOT in Smooth Operator? Are they really in my other makeup products?" If you really must know, yes, they are. For example, parabens are class of chemical preservatives used in many cosmetics and phamaceuticals. Their use and safety in cosmetics is continually being debated. Tarte just stays away from anything like that.

And look, gluten free, for everyone allergic! This company is so vegan and awesome!


 So, I literally take this much, dab a little bit on each of my cheeks, my chin, and my forehead, and just blend out. Sometimes I will put pressed powder on top, but usually not. My skin just looks and feels great after I use this. Variations in skin tone are totally blended out, but I don't feel like I just packed eight pounds of makeup onto my face.
I use this every single day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It is quick enough that I just throw it on right before class, and I am glowing. No need for this hour-long procedure. Look at some of the great things Tarte lists that are in this product:

ginko billoba root extract: powerful antioxidant that fights free radicals, helps prevent premature signs of aging and boosts skin circulation and collagen production (nice)

apple extract: natural extract from the phytonutrient-rich apple has known anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. (soothing--after a dry night in a dorm that sounds great)

chamomile extract: rich in essential oils, this natural plant extract is antiallergenic and anti-inflammatory, and has been known to treat and heal dry or damaged skin. (again, perfect.)

It is truly an unbelievable product. It is a little on the expensive side, but I promise you--that little bottle goes a long way. And it's so good for your skin! You're not even supposed to step OUTSIDE without SPF 20 anyway! When you're old and NOT wrinkly, you will thank me.


Long story short: perfect product for that light, on-the-go, every day
coverage. A+


<3 kristie














No comments:

Post a Comment